Our Feed

We are involved in our communities, our profession, and our clients' associations and activities.

How long after someone receives a special use permit do they have before that have to commence work under the permit?

The Michigan Zoning Enabling Act, MCL § 125.302(1), allows a legislative body to provide for special land uses in a zoning ordinance. The township’s zoning ordinance is required to specify the requirements and standards for approval of a special use permit. Additionally, the township may approve the special use permit with conditions, such as a timeline to commence work under the permit. MCL § 125.302(4). Therefore, if there is a timeline for commencing work under the special use permit, it will be specified in either the township’s zoning ordinance or as a condition for approval. 

Recent Articles & Announcements

  1. First Law Firm to Win Michigan 5...

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Annual firm growth exceeds 13% within a culture that values both clients and staff. May 16, 2024, Okemos, Michigan. ...

    Read More
  2. My Township Got Sued? Now What?

    Litigation is almost always stressful, costly, and time-consuming. Most townships seek to avoid litigation where possible, but in some insta...

    Read More
  3. What notice requirements apply t...

    There are various statutes that allow townships to fund improvements (e.g., road projects, fire protection services, among others) by specia...

    Read More
Talk to an Attorney
Request a Consultation

At Fahey Schultz Burzych Rhodes PLC, we’ve been helping municipalities, franchised businesses, employers, and more with their legal needs since 2008. We’d love to learn how we can help you, too.