Our Feed

We are involved in our communities, our profession, and our clients' associations and activities.

Does a Township have to contact the State after it has authorized or prohibited commercial medical marihuana facilities?

Yes, if the township has authorized commercial medical marihuana facilities. Section 205 of the Michigan Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act (“MMFLA”) authorizes townships to adopt an ordinance that allows 1 or more types of marihuana facilities and to limit the number of such facilities. Section 205 further provides that a township that does so “shall” provide the Marihuana Regulatory Agency (“MRA”) the information regarding the ordinance on a form provided by the MRA. That form is not clearly available on the MRA’s website.

Despite the lack of an available form, the MRA accepts copies of the ordinances at mra-enforcement@michigan.gov. Thus, townships that have acted on authorization of commercial medical marihuana facilities (as well as adult-use marihuana establishments) can e-mail the township's ordinance and indicate, if any specific form is required, that the township would complete a copy upon receipt of the applicable form from the MRA.

Recent Articles & Announcements

  1. First Law Firm to Win Michigan 5...

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Annual firm growth exceeds 13% within a culture that values both clients and staff. May 16, 2024, Okemos, Michigan. ...

    Read More
  2. My Township Got Sued? Now What?

    Litigation is almost always stressful, costly, and time-consuming. Most townships seek to avoid litigation where possible, but in some insta...

    Read More
  3. What notice requirements apply t...

    There are various statutes that allow townships to fund improvements (e.g., road projects, fire protection services, among others) by specia...

    Read More
Talk to an Attorney
Request a Consultation

At Fahey Schultz Burzych Rhodes PLC, we’ve been helping municipalities, franchised businesses, employers, and more with their legal needs since 2008. We’d love to learn how we can help you, too.