Our Feed

We are involved in our communities, our profession, and our clients' associations and activities.

Can the County relinquish control over the public roads in the Township?

Yes. The Board of County Road Commissioners can do so under the General Highway Law, MCL 224.18. To relinquish jurisdiction over a road to a township, the Board must 1) adopt a resolution relinquishing jurisdiction and control over the road and 2) publish notice in a newspaper of general circulation in the county once a week for 3 consecutive weeks. See MCL 224.18(3); see also MCL 224.18(1). The Township will also be notified directly if the road is adjacent to or ends at a lake or stream. MCL 224.18(5). In all cases where the road is situated in a township, the township has first priority to retain jurisdiction over the road. Id. Please note that any townships experiencing this may want to consider speaking to their counselΒ about reserving legal rights on one or more roads.

Recent Articles & Announcements

  1. First Law Firm to Win Michigan 5...

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Annual firm growth exceeds 13% within a culture that values both clients and staff. May 16, 2024, Okemos, Michigan. β€...

    Read More
  2. My Township Got Sued? Now What?

    Litigation is almost always stressful, costly, and time-consuming. Most townships seek to avoid litigation where possible, but in some insta...

    Read More
  3. What notice requirements apply t...

    There are various statutes that allow townships to fund improvements (e.g., road projects, fire protection services, among others) by specia...

    Read More
Talk to an Attorney
Request a Consultation

At Fahey Schultz Burzych Rhodes PLC, we’ve been helping municipalities, franchised businesses, employers, and more with their legal needs since 2008. We’d love to learn how we can help you, too.