High Contrast

Our Feed

We are involved in our communities, our profession, and our clients' associations and activities.

What can my township do with leftover Act 188 special assessment funds?

Act 188 of 1954 (“Act 188”) is a statute that many townships use to finance many improvements using special assessments ranging from lake improvements to rubbish collection. See MCL 41.722. Although Act 188 requires townships to approve project costs, there are times when a township may collect more in special assessments from property owners than it expends on a project. See generally, MCL 41.725.

If a township collects surplus assessments under Act 188, it has a couple of options. If the surplus assessments collected account for greater than 5% of project costs, then a township must prorate refunds of the surplus to properties (not property owners) within the special assessment district. MCL 41.732. A township must do this by applying the refunds on the next township property tax roll or by resolution if there will be no taxes levied on a property. Id. When collected surplus assessments are less than 5% of project costs, it is our opinion from the language of Act 188, that a township may either move the funds into a township’s general fund or prorate refunds to properties (not property owners) in any manner. For reoccurring assessments (e.g. rubbish collection), a township may want to apply any surplus funds to future assessments for the same purpose.

Recent Articles & Announcements

  1. Beginner’s Guide to Conque...

    Attention FOIA Coordinators! Have you ever received an extensive Freedom of Information Act (“FOIA”) request that leaves you wondering h...

    Read More
  2. What is attorney-client privileg...

    (1) What is attorney-client privilege? Attorney-client privilege protects certain communications made between the Township and your Township...

    Read More
  3. ADA in the Township Hall

    The Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) and its Michigan counterpart, the Persons with Disabilities Civil Rights Act (“PWDCRA”) ...

    Read More
Talk to an Attorney
Request a Consultation

At Fahey Schultz Burzych Rhodes PLC, we’ve been helping municipalities, franchised businesses, employers, and more with their legal needs since 2008. We’d love to learn how we can help you, too.