Mitchell F. Zolton
Overview & Experience
Mitchell is an associate attorney with Fahey Schultz Burzych Rhodes PLC, where he counsels clients in strategic approaches to achieve their goals. His practice focuses on general business law, franchising, intellectual property, as well as certain aspects of employment law that surround the business sector.
Mitch is dedicated to supporting all aspects of the client’s brand. He routinely conducts trademark clearance searches, prepares and prosecutes trademark applications, and manages the trademark registration process from beginning to end. When negotiating complex licensing and service agreements, he emphasizes communication and collaboration to arrive at a finished product that will not only meet the client’s needs and goals, but also mitigate risks. Mitch also regularly drafts legal memorandums and conducts legal research in his respective fields of practice.
Mitch joined FSBR as a law clerk in 2017 and became an associate with the firm in 2020. While attending law school, Mitch interned at the Legal Services of Eastern Michigan. He was also a member of the Trademark Moot Court Team, a teaching assistant, and served as a notes editor on the Editorial Board of the Michigan State Law Review.
Outside of the office, Mitch enjoys spending time in Northern Michigan at his family cottage on Houghton Lake. He also enjoys craft beer and visiting breweries around the state. As a true Michigan native, he is a loyal fan of the Detroit Lions, no matter the highs and lows that it brings.
- Drafted a license agreement regarding indoor go-karting software. This involved extensive legal research into the issues involved in software licensing.
- Drafted a series of service agreements on behalf of a client.
- Regularly performs research regarding trademark rights and registration and drafts trademark applications, renewals, and responses to office actions with the USPTO for various clients.
- Performed comprehensive legal research and drafted opinion letters and memos for employers regarding FLSA wage and hour issues, including rules relating to handling tips and tip pools.
Publications & Presentations
- Direct Shipping for Michigan Beer? Wine Not, 2020 MSt. L. Rev. 509, (2020)
Honors & Education
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., 2020, summa cum laude
- Grand Valley State University, B.S., 2016, Legal Studies
- State Bar of Michigan
- Volunteered at the Legal Assistance Center (LAC) located in the Kent County Courthouse in Grand Rapids