Mark J. Burzych
Overview & Experience
As the leader of the firm’s business practice, Mark is committed to helping clients design and execute their dreams. He focuses on developing and implementing growth strategies for businesses with an emphasis on franchising, liquor licensing and regulation, general corporate matters, mergers, acquisitions, or other corporate transactions, bank debt or equity private placement financing transactions, real estate, and other business-related matters.
The brainstorming, collaboration, and curiosity surrounding what clients seek drive Mark’s passion for his work. He’s proud to become part of his clients’ circle of trusted advisors, engaging with them sometimes daily to guide them through the process of growing their businesses.
His work is specially tailored to the hospitality industry, but his experience allows him to assist virtually any business segment. Mark knows business decisions often have legal implications, and he’s dedicated to ensuring his clients understand the real-world implications of their choices as they pursue expansion strategies. With more than 30 years of experience practicing law, Mark has seen it all in franchising, and he is eager to share his expertise with his clients.
Outside of the office, Mark enjoys spending time with his family, especially on Lake Charlevoix. He’s an avid golfer and a fan of MSU sports.
- Franchisor outside counsel: provide “trusted advisor” counsel to franchisor from start-up to now Top 300 franchise system; perform general counsel services for franchisor; daily advice and counsel regarding franchise sales, relationship management, supply chain contracting, marketing, and operations.
- Franchise Regulatory counsel: provide franchise regulatory counsel to franchisors, from start-up franchisors to iconic brands; perform federal and state law regulatory compliance for franchisors with advice and counsel on franchise sales and relationship management.
- Corporate General Counsel: provide general counsel work to multi-generational closely held business, prepare company for acquisition, representation of company in sale of company to private equity purchaser; assisted closely held company in raising $10 Million in new equity capital private placement with federal and state securities laws compliance.
- Liquor License acquisition (manufacturers and retailers); Liquor law violation hearings; manufacturer-wholesaler relationship management.
- Trademark prosecution and enforcement.
Publications & Presentations
- Co-author, “Recent Developments in Administrative Law,” ICLE State of the Law, 1991
- Author, “Recent State Court Decisions,” Administrative Law Quarterly, Winter 1991, Spring 1992.
- Co-author, “Vive la Difference? Selective Enforcement of Franchise Agreement Terms and System Standards,” Franchise Law Journal, Fall 2003.
- Panel member, “Selective Enforcement of Franchise Agreement Terms and System Standards,” American Bar Association Forum on Franchising annual meeting, 2004.
- Contributing author, “Ask the Experts” column, Michigan Restaurant and Lodging Association’s MRLA magazine.
- Facilitator, “Disclosure Issues Related to Promotional Franchise Sales Incentive Program,” International Franchise Association Annual Convention, 2012.
- Co-author, “Franchisor Successor Tax Liability: Risk in Terminations,” Franchise Law Journal Vol. 35, No. 3, 2016.
- Author, “System Standards and Franchisee Innovation: Striking a Balance,” Franchise Law Journal, Vol. 38, No. 2, 2018.
- Presenter, “Confidentiality Clauses in Franchise Agreements,” American Bar Association Forum on Franchising annual meeting, 2018.
- Author, Michigan chapter of the Franchise Desk Book, third edition, 2019.
- Author, “Franchise Advertising in the Digital Age: Regulators Need to Contemporaneously Address Advancing Advertising Technologies or Step Aside,” Franchise Law Journal, Vol. 40, No. 2, 2020.
- Author, “Using Criminal Background Checks in a Franchise System,” Franchise Law Journal, Vol. 41, No. 3, Winter 2022.
Honors & Education
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1990, cum laude
- Michigan State University, James Madison College, B.A., Socioeconomic Policy Problems, 1985
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- Best Lawyers in America, 2009–present
- Best Lawyers in America’s Lansing Government Relations Practice Lawyer of the Year, 2015
- Super Lawyers, 2009–present
- Leading Lawyers, 2014–present
- Franchise Times Legal Eagles, 2018-present
- Rated AV by Martindale-Hubble
- Member, Michigan Restaurant & Lodging Association Board, 2012–present
- Member, Advisory Rules Committee, Michigan Liquor Control Commission, 2011
- Member, Judicial Crossroads Task Force to the Michigan Bar Association, Business Impact Committee, 2010
- Chair, State Bar of Michigan’s Administrative Law Section, 2009
- Chair, Michigan Public Education Facilities Authority Board, 2002–2010
- Member, Michigan Municipal Bond Authority Board, 1998–2004, 2006, Board Member 2006-2010
- Member, State Bar of Michigan
- Member, Administrative Law Section Council (2007-2016)
- Member, Antitrust, Franchising, & Trade Regulation Section Council (2016-Present)
- Member, International Franchise Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association’s Forum on Franchising
- Member, Catholic Lawyers Guild
- James Madison College Alumni Association Board of Directors
- MSU Alumni Club of Mid-Michigan Board of Directors (1995-1999)
- Michigan State University Alumni Association, Alumni as Resource Committee Member (1999)
- St. Martha’s Council, Knights of Columbus