Ross K. Bower II
Ross brings his experience as a municipal, property tax, and drain attorney to FSBR, focusing on Michigan municipal, property tax, and drain law with an emphasis on property tax appeals and special assessments, drain projects, development, zoning, building and planning, and Michigan’s Drain Code.
He appreciates the fast-paced nature of his work and is especially proud of the relief his clients feel when they put their trust in his hands. Ross is thoughtful, and a straight talker, delivering an up-front perspective about the advantages and disadvantages of a client’s particular situation. Whether it’s major litigation or a minor legal matter, Ross knows every client’s case is the most important thing to them, so he treats it that way as well.
As part of the firm’s Municipal Practice Group, he provides expertise and responsiveness to public officials and clients as Township Attorney, Village Attorney, and City Attorney, and as counsel to County Drain Commissioners throughout Michigan, where he handles litigation in administrative, trial, and appellate courts.
Ross is committed to obtaining successful results for his clients, and he strives every day to be the best at his craft. He enjoys the relationships he develops with his clients and takes pride in the trust and respect he’s built with opposing attorneys and judges as well.
Ross joined FSBR in 2008 and has been a partner since 2014. Prior to that, he was an attorney with the Hubbard Law Firm, P.C.
Off the clock, he stays active with his family, playing and coaching soccer, and supporting his three kids in their academic and athletic endeavors.
- Meridian Township: Defended Entire Tribunal property tax appeals, including apartment complexes, commercial retail, regional mall, office, and restaurant properties.
- City of Fenton: Defended Entire Tribunal property appeals, including residential and commercial properties.
- Gratiot County Drain Commissioner: Provided counsel on behalf of drainage districts related to numerous alternative energy developments.
- MDARD and Various County Drain Commissioners: Provided counsel on behalf of inter-county drainage districts related to numerous historical jurisdiction and drainage district reviews and public hearings.
Ross has presented on topics including Township Law, Environmental Law, Constitutional Law, Property Tax Law, and the Freedom of Information Act at seminars and conferences throughout the state, and he has authored articles in various publications on Property Tax Issues, Civil Litigation, Drain Law, and Township Law.
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, J.D., 2007, cum laude
- Kalamazoo College, B.A., Anthropology and Sociology, 2004
- All Michigan State and Federal Courts
- In recognition of his work on behalf of his public sector clients, Ross has been selected each year as a “Rising Star” in Michigan’s Super Lawyers publication since 2010.
- Recognized as one of the “Top 5” attorneys under the age of 35 in Ingham County.
- President, Ingham County Bar Association’s Young Lawyers’ Section
- Member, Michigan Bar Association
- Member, Ingham County Bar Association
- Member, Eaton County Bar Association
- Member, Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys
- Associate Member, Michigan Association of County Drain Commissioners
- Ingham County Bar Association – Young Lawyers Section president, 2010-2011
- Ingham County Bar Association – Young Lawyers Section member, 2008-2012
- Law school service work: Various public service agencies including the Michigan Attorney General’s Office, City of Lansing Teen Court, and Washtenaw County Public Defender’s Office.
- Volunteer youth soccer coach, 2014-2019
- Classroom volunteer, Constitution Day, 2008-2012
- Volunteer moot court/civics hearing judge, 2008-2019
- FSBR – Giving Back. Creating Change. Benefitting the Greater Lansing Food Bank, Ronald McDonald House of Mid-Michigan 5K, Child Benefit Fund for Ingham County, Boys & Girls Club, Step Up for Down Syndrome, Compete for a Cause, YLS Horn of Plenty.