Stacy L. Hissong
Stacy is general counsel for the Michigan Association of County Drain Commissioners, representing more than 40 drain commissioners on behalf of FSBR.
Driven by well-organized project management, Stacy is committed to doing the right thing and helping turn projects into successes everyone can celebrate. She is drawn to out-of-the-box thinking to help move ideas forward — though she’s also not afraid to say no — and she’s dedicated to being as timely and cost-efficient as possible in her work.
A practicing attorney since 1996, Stacy has more than a decade of experience representing clients on issues relating to stormwater and inland lakes and streams, working on projects involving county and intercounty drains, lake levels, lake improvement boards, sewer authorities, and county public works offices.
In addition to her expertise in drain and water law, Stacy has extensive real estate valuation experience. As a former Certified General Appraiser, she was licensed to appraise real property of any type of value in the state of Michigan. Her appraisal expertise has proven extremely beneficial for the firm’s eminent domain and tax tribunal cases.
Stacy joined FSBR in 2011 and has been a partner since 2013.
Outside of work, Stacy enjoys traveling and cheering for the Michigan State Spartans.
- Maintenance and improvement projects
- Lake level projects
- EGLE permit issues
- Easement acquisition
- Board of Review proceedings
Stacy is a frequent presenter to Drain Commissioners and other municipal groups on the Drain Code and related areas such as property acquisition and environmental issues involving wetlands, floodplains, and inland lakes and streams.
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, J.D., 1996, magna cum laude
- Michigan State University, B.A., business administration, 1993
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- (Former) Licensed Certified General Appraiser, Michigan, 2011-2022
- Best Lawyers in America: Municipal Law and Natural Resources Law, since 2017
- Best Lawyers in Lansing: Lawyer of the Year, Natural Resources Law, 2019
- Member, Law Review, Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 1996–1996
- Past member, International Right-of-Way Association
- Member, Michigan Bar Association
- Member, Ingham County Bar Association
- Member, Michigan Association of County Drain Commissioners